Sebewa Recollector
Items of Genealogical Interest

Volume 16 Number 1
Transcribed by LaVonne I. Bennett

     LaVonne has received permission from Grayden Slowins to edit and submit Sebewa Recollector items of genealogical interest, from the beginning year of 1965 through current editions.

THE SEBEWA RECOLLECTOR Bulletin of The Sebewa Center Association,
August 1980, Volume 16, Number 1.  Submitted with written permission of current Editor Grayden D. Slowins: 


MRS. EDNA SAYER had a surprise 90th birthday in July. 

DALE AND WINNIE SHETTERLY celabrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a large number of guests at their former Sebewa home with Phil and Betty Shetterly as hosts.

MRS. PEARL REED attended the Portland High School Reunion as the oldest graduate present.

BEN PROBASCO had a little party for his 95th (birthday) at the Eaton County Medical Care Facility.

HANNAH HEINTZLEMAN & EDNA WENGER went up a notch to 91 and 93 respectively.

THE FOLLOWING STORY IS OF DUAINE PINKSTON’S wartime experience.  Duaine and his wife, June, have owned and lived on what was her great grandfather’s farm just east of Goddard Road on Knoll Road at West Sebewa.  Great grandfather B. C. or Ben Peacock was the head of a large family including Harlan Peacock, Dr. T. L. Peacock, Dora Peacock Johnson, Ella Peacock Wilson, Della Peacock Reghie who with her husband Joe Reghie lived on that farm before the Pinkstons.

Last year the Pinkstons attended the reunion of the 82nd Airborne in Europe, visiting familiar places in England, Holland, France and Belgium.  This year a member of the Dutch Underground, Henry Klosters of Cuyk, Holland returned the visit to the Pinkston’s place and accompanied them to the reunion of the 82nd at Fort Bragg, N. C.

I was born May 30, 1924, in Shaftsburg, Michigan a short way from Bath.  By the time I started school my family had moved to Ionia on a farm.  I have four sisters and all of us are two years apart.  Thelma was first, then Nola, I, Ruth and Genevieve was our order of birth.

I took my Army physical in 1942 just after I finished high school.  I liked to hunt so I decided not to enlist until after hunting season.  I was called into service in January of 1943.  Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri was where I took twelve weeks of basic training and then some of us took tests and six of us passed the test.  Then we had to wait for openings.  During that time I took 17 weeks of advanced basic training with the Medical Batallion.  This involved a lot of study but I did not mind because when I was small I had always wanted to be a doctor……….

Following this are six pages detailing Duaine Pinkston’s service to our country during WWII.  They may be read at any local library where THE SEBEWA RECOLLECTOR is on file.  If that isn’t available to you, please contact me  and I’ll send you copies of those 6 pages.

At the end of the six pages we read:  “………I went back to Eppinol, France.  For return to America we needed 85 points and I had 84.  I was transferred to Berlin in the latter part of July and stayed until October when I had ninety some points.  They had a big party for three of us who left Berlin for home on the 20th of October.  We finally got on a ship at LaHarve and came back to Newport News, Virginia.

When I got home my father was ailing and I went to farming with him and did not pursue my start in a medical career.”  



Last update November 16, 2013