|General Rules for list members:
1. The usual
etiquette ("netiquette") rules for mailing lists and news groups
2. Messages must be "on topic", that is, they must relate to
genealogy or local history in Michigan.
3. Messages must not contain offensive language and must not be
abusive, in content or tone. Criticisms, negative opinions of an
acceptable thread or person will be not be tolerated on this list.
It is the list administrator's responsibility and you can contact
4. Do not post virus warnings, test messages, chain letters,
political announcements, items for sale, personal messages, etc.
5. Do not post any source data relating to living people.
6. Attached files are not allowed and will be bounced by the mail
server for the list.
8. Do not impose any other rules or conditions, expressed or implied
elsewhere, upon this list. Rules of other forums may not necessarily
apply here. Do not try to regulate this list. If you do not like the
way someone formats their queries or responses, or the content of
their subject titles, take it up with the list administrators and
NOT in the list.
10. Do not send messages entirely in upper case (capital letters).
It should be used sparingly to emphasize a word. It is also
considered shouting in general society.
11. When responding to a message do not quote the whole of the
original message if long in nature.
Edit your quote to include the minimum needed to put your response in
12. Remember that by hitting REPLY your e-mail goes to the list, and
if your message is more personal in nature and meant for one person
you should change the e-mail address to that person's. This rule is
one of the most broken rules on mail lists and calling a halt to it
is at the discretion of the Mail Admin. One mail coming through is
generally ignored on a thread and patience with this is asked of all
the list. Delete buttons in this case save a lot of hurt feelings
and keep this list going in a friendly manner.
Other web master rules of list membership:
The posting of updates on a organizational or personal website that
has to do with new available online records that are not fee based
for Michigan in any area of, it is acceptable and encouraged by the
list administrators. Please let researchers know about the data you
have online and promote your web sites in this way.
1. Links to society pages that may be holding a genealogical or
history seminar or gathering.
2. New non-fee based data online announcements or data.
Not acceptable at any time:
1. Criticisms, negative opinions, or innuendo of such, of any
organization, person, web site etc. on this list. This list is for
queries and discussion of how to do research only, in Michigan
sources and records. There are appropriate websites and lists for
this sort of thing to post to. Please use those.
2. No items for sale by an organization or group or person is
allowed that is an advertisement. Again, use the appropriate lists
3. No pleas for funds or money donations for an organization or
person is allowed.
4. Links to sites that are only selling items online.
Acceptable Use Policy