OGEMAW COUNTY, MICHIGAN

OGEMAW COUNTY SCHOOLS


The County of Ogemaw was organized in 1876 and shortly thereafter, the need for local schools was realized. The first schools appeared in communities where families settled and children needed educating. One-room schools were built in all townships, and several in some townships. Many times the schools were moved to different locations as necessary to make it more convenient for the students to attend. Because of this, location descriptions may vary. As population increased, larger schools were needed and slowly the one-room schools were consolidated with the larger schools in that community. Records of these original schools are sometimes sparse. Listed below are the schools that are known to have existed in Ogemaw County. Anyone having additional information is asked to contact the Ogemaw County Coordinator, Grace Dooley.

Atherton Beaver Lake Beechwood
Bell Busenbark Bush Lake
Byce Campbell Corners Caverly
Chase Cobblestone Cook
Cranberry Lake Dale Damon
Deckerville Eastside Edwards
Erb Evergreen Geroy
Goodar Gravel Road Green
Greenwood Guest Hamacher
Harcourt Henderson Lake Horseshoe Lake
Hughey Lake Lane Heights LaPorte
LaTrielle Logan Loranger
Lupton Maltby McGregor
Miller Moss Neal
Nester North Lake O'Connor
Ogemaw Heights O'Neil Osborne
Palmer Pine Grove Pioneer
Piper Lake Pleasant Hill Prescott
Rau Red Rifle River
Robinson Mill Rose City Sage Lake
South Branch Stanlake Stillwagon
Stone Surline Thorn
Waterman West Branch Withey



Go Back to Ogemaw Home Page

MiGenWeb
Jan Cortez, State Coordinator, MIGenWeb

© This website was created and copyrighted June, 2005 to present by Grace Dooley
All Rights Reserved

This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion
without the written permission of the Webmaster.