Information from Carole Dunston
CRAWFORD�S QUARRY This settlement was named for Francis Crawford, Jr., who became its first postmaster on 14 March 1864; the
office was closed on 6 March 1867, but was restored with Leonard CRAWFORD as postmaster, on 30 January
1867 (?); the office was named Crawford Quarrry on 23 May 1894, but was closed on 23 July 1894; with
Emma CRAWFORD as postmaster, it was restored as Quarry on 15 Feb. 1895, and operated until 30 April
1900; it became a ghost town but came to life again in 1910 when the property was bought by the Michigan
Limestone Division of the U. S. Steel Corp. and renamed Calcite; it is now within the city limits of Rogers
City. � Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig, L. H. D.